About the Conference
Greetings Alumni, Friends, and Supporters:
The 34th Annual Georgia Alumni Association of Historically Black State Universities (GAAHBSU) Legislative Conference will be held January 22-24, 2019 at the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel. GAAHBSU is a consortium initially comprised of the National Alumni Associations of the three Georgia public historically black universities. Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Inc. is host for the 2019 conference. The theme for the 2019 conference is GAAHBSU – "Honoring the Past, Treasuring the Present, Shaping the Future." The purpose of the legislative conference is to unite Albany State University, Fort Valley State University and Savannah State University alumni associations collectively with a common goal of ensuring the longevity of the three Georgia public historically black universities.
The 2019 legislative conference will provide a forum for alumni and current students to dialogue with state legislators, university presidents and other educational leaders. Alumni will be encouraged to address the universities’ common goals, objectives and concerns with the key state leaders. Current university students attending the legislative conference will become recruitment ambassadors visiting Metro Atlanta high schools to encourage high school students to attend the three Georgia historically black universities.
Please join us this year as GAAHBSU continues to encourage the state officials, alumni and students to support the sustainment of Albany State, Fort Valley State and Savannah State Universities. Make your reservations soon and let your voice be heard.
Gregory Hylick, Chair
GAAHBSU Executive Committee
Miriam Love, Chair
2019 GAAHBSU Planning Committee
Schedule of Activities
Tuesday, January 22, 2019
- 6:00 pm - Planning Committee Meeting
- 7:00 pm - Student Recruitment Team Meeting
- 8:30 pm - Hospitality (Meet and Greet)
Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- 7:30 am - Registration (Hotel Lobby)
- 9:00 am - Declining Enrollment & Retention Rate (Speaker TBA)
- 10:30 am - Dr. Harry L. Williams President & CEO Thurgood Marshall Foundation
- 12:30 pm - Student Recruitment Luncheon
- 2:00 pm - University Presidents’ Roundtable
- 6:00 pm - Awards Recognition Dinner
- 8:30 pm - Hospitality Social (Hotel Banquet Room)
Thursday, January 24, 2019
GAAHBSU Day at State Capitol
- 8:00 am - Breakfast with Legislators State Capitol, Room 230
- 10:30 am - Conference Wrap-Up Meeting at Hotel
Registration & Hotel Information
Complete registration fee is $130 if postmarked before January 10, 2019. Late registration is $145. Complete registration includes all meals, registration materials, and hospitality.
Host Hotel: Sheraton Atlanta 165 Courtland Street, NE Atlanta, GA 30303 (404) 659-6500
Rate: $129 per night if reserved before January 2, 2010